O.J. Simpson is “a completely free man” following an early end to his parole period in Nevada, as confirmed to the Associated Press by Nevada State Police and his Las Vegas lawyer, Malcolm LaVergne.
Simpson, 74, originally had his parole discharge date set at Sept. 29, 2022 following his Oct. 1, 2017 release from prison. That date was moved up to Feb. 9 over the summer, though Simpson was granted early discharge after a Nov. 30 hearing “for good behavior.” The decision was ratified on Dec. 6, with his parole retroactively up on Dec. 1, per Rolling Stone.
“Mr. Simpson is a completely free man now,” LaVergne told the AP.
In 1995, Simpson was acquitted for the 1994 murders of his ex-wife Nicole Brown Simpson and her friend Ronald Goldman. However, a California civil court in 1997 found him liable for their deaths, ordering him to pay $33.5 million to their families. He was convicted in 2008 on 12 charges — including armed robbery, assault with a deadly weapon and kidnapping, among others — for leading five men in a 2007 confrontation with two sports memorabilia dealers in an off-strip Las Vegas hotel.
In resulting court cases, Simpson said he wanted to retrieve personal mementoes and items stolen from him following his 1995 acquittal. He served nine years as a result of his conviction and had been on parole since his 2017 release.
Simpson declined an immediate interview with the AP, and LaVergne declined to discuss his client’s future, including whether he would continue residing in Nevada. Simpson, an entrant into both the college football and pro football halls of fame, currently lives in a gated Las Vegas community; an avid Twitter user, he has yet to make any mention (at least publicly) of his early discharge.