From great puns to innuendo to the just plain bizarre, race horses have long been known for some fantastic naming practices. You need a unique name to more easily trace bloodlines, and this stays with them for life, but have a look below at some of the best and funniest the racing world has to offer!
Literary or film references
There have been many horses that have been gifted with a name that many people would recognise but with a punny twist. Here are a few examples to brighten up your day!
- Fiftyshadesofhay – referencing the well-known book by E.L James, this horse was memorable for a great name and some great races, pulling in more than $1million during its career.
- Maythehorsebewithyou – obviously loved by fans of the Star Wars franchise, Maythehorsebewithyou was a popular New Zealand thoroughbred with a truly enjoyable name.
- DoReMiFaSoLaTiDo – A much loved song from a fantastic film, you would have to be a fan not to mind saying this over and over as a commentator!
And many more including Riding Miss Daisy and Forrest Jump, and a few magical names too, like Harry Trotter and Hermioneigh!
Ones to say out loud and fast
There are also many fantastic names that have slipped through the naming process with seemingly innocent names – until you say them out loud. Check out these naughty names and see which your favourite one is.
- Where The Fox Hat – say it quickly and in an Irish accent to enjoy.
- Hoof Hearted – innocent enough looking, but a classic wind reference when you say it again.
The just plain silly
Some of the best and funniest names are just plain silly, with puns on names, references to mothers in law and strange animals, with some defying any real explanation. Have a look for yourself.
- Shakalakaboomboom – A fun and fabulous name loved when racing in the Grand National especially.
- Arrr – This American gelding has a great pirate-sounding name which was lots of fun for the commentators and fans alike.
- Whykickamoocow – A name that really struggles to be defined, we can only agree with the question why?
- Oh no, it’s my Mother-in-Law – A silly one again, and we really want to know who the Mother-in-Law is!
- Horsey McHorseface – Following the wild success of Boaty McBoatface in Britain, this horse found popularity again with this awesome name. Good work!
- EighteenCharacters – perhaps a little more easily explained, a racehorse can only have a name up to 18 characters long, so this horse is sticking to the rules!
And many others, from Hay Jude and Lil Filly to Pony Soprano and Kolt Kardashian, here are a few more of our favourites for you to enjoy.
- Al Capony
- Horsen Around
- Buck Rogers
- The Long Face
- Brittany Spurs
- Foaling Around
- Usain Colt
- Mane Attraction
- Talk Derby to Me
There really are so many strange and wonderful names in horse racing for you to enjoy, from the plain silly to the absolute genius. So whether you are enjoying some horseracing in Rosehill Gardens racecourse or somewhere else in person, or just trying to distract yourself from a dull day, be sure to have a look at some racehorse names and see if you can’t find a few funny ones yourself!