USA News

‘Active’ search ends for young man, 18, presumed to have drowned in water off Mission Beach

The active search has ended for the body of a teenage swimmer who is presumed dead after strong rip currents pulled him underwater in Mission Beach earlier this week.

Lifeguards did not send divers into the water to look for him Friday, San Diego Fire-Rescue spokeswoman Mónica Muñoz said.

While the search is not active, lifeguards are still watching for the body of the 18-year-old, whose name had not been released.

Friday marked the start of additional summer staffing for San Diego lifeguards, and crews will patrol the shore and in the water as part of their normal duties, Muñoz said.

“So there is searching going on but it’s not an active search as it was the first three days,” she said in an email.

The drowning happened in the water off Jersey Court, north of Belmont Park and near lifeguard tower 16.

Around 3:30 p.m. Tuesday, a lifeguard spotted a group of swimmers and noticed one appeared to be struggling, Muñoz said earlier this week.

The guard radioed for other lifeguards to help with potential rescues. They pulled two teens from the water, but a third submerged and disappeared.



File source

Tags
Show More

Related Articles

Back to top button
Close