USA News

CIF-SS girls volleyball playoff divisions released for 2022 season

Having done well in the CIF Southern Section Division 3 girls volleyball playoffs last season, El Toro, JSerra, Mission Viejo, Newport Harbor and Orange Lutheran are among the teams placed in the Divisions 1/2 playoff group for the upcoming season.

The playoff groupings for several of the fall sports were released this week.

Teams are placed in playoff divisions based on a a power-points system that evaluates performance over the previous two seasons. A team’s 2021 performance represented 75 percent of the total, with the other 25 percent coming from a team’s 2019 performance. The 2020 season was canceled because of COVID-19.

The CIF-SS office said the groupings are subject to adjustment before the season begins.

In last season’s CIF-SS Division 3 playoffs, El Toro was the champion, Mission Viejo was a semifinalist and Newport Harbor and Orange Lutheran were quarterfinalists.

JSerra advanced to last season’s Division 3 final against El Toro but JSerra was found to have used an ineligible player during the playoffs and had to forfeit its playoff wins. El Toro was awarded the division championship.

When the regular season ends, the top teams in the Divisions 1/2 group are moved into the Division 1 playoff bracket and the remaining teams go into the Division 2 playoff bracket. Seven teams from last season’s Divisions 1/2 group were sent to the Division 1 playoffs.

File source

Tags
Show More

Related Articles

Back to top button
Close