USA News

Man discovered dead during hazmat investigation in Venice

Authorities with the Los Angeles Fire Department on Wednesday night announced that a man who appears to be in his 70s died from accidental asphyxiation in his car in Venice.

Crews responded to calls of an unresponsive person in a vehicle at around 8:43 p.m., in the 600 block of East Venice Boulevard. 

“Upon arrival, what is believed to be flammable substances (liquid? gas?) were observed in the vehicle. Therefore, the response has been upgraded to a hazardous materials incident,” LAFD said in a news release

Aerial footage from Sky5 showed a large presence of first responders at the scene. Firefighters could be seen looking into a vehicle, and a large damp spot in the street was also visible.  

After investigating the inside of the vehicle, firefighters discovered small, camping-style propane bottles in the car.

Officials said the man appeared to be homeless and was attempting to keep warm in the enclosed space with a propane-powered heat lamp, when he “sadly…succumbed to accidental asphyxiation” by leaking propane that displaced the oxygen in the vehicle.

There was no fire involved in the incident.

File source

Show More

Related Articles

Back to top button