USA News

Man shot mother, neighbor and police officer during Arcadia standoff: LASD

A 47-year-old man who allegedly shot and wounded his mother, a neighbor and an Arcadia police officer, Wednesday has been identified.

Nurhan Venk had barricaded himself inside a home in the 2500 block of Greenfield Avenue for nearly seven hours after Arcadia police responded to a domestic incident around 4 p.m.

An investigation revealed Venk was in the home threatening his 73-year-old mother, according to the Los Angeles County Sheriff’s Department, who is leading the investigation.

He had apparently gone to his mother’s house armed with handguns, and authorities later learned her 12-year-old grandson was also inside the home.

While officers were talking to the victim, they heard at least two gunshots from inside the home, officials said.

As they approached the house, they heard additional gunshots, and at one point, an officer was struck by gunfire.

Officers retreated from the home as additional rounds were fired, and eventually the two victims were able to run out of the home to safety, officials explained.

Venk’s mother was shot in the chest during the ordeal. Additionally, an 83-year-old man who lives across the street was struck in the face by a stray bullet that went inside his bedroom window frame, authorities said.

The officer and the two other victims were taken to a hospital with injuries that were critical but not life-threatening.

The neighbor who was shot, identified by family as Zoo Ching Yang, was struck in one eye, then the bullet traveled out the other.

“Pretty much, he’s going to lose his right eye. They’ll have to take that out. There’s nothing they can do to fix it,” Yang’s son said.

Yang’s wife was also wounded when she was struck by shrapnel from the bullet.

Venk was finally taken into custody just before 11 p.m, aerial video from Sky5 showed.

He had sustained a gunshot wound to the leg, but officials believe the injury was “accidental and self-inflicted.”

He was booked into jail and is being held on $1 million bail, records show.

The incident remains under investigation.

File source

Show More

Related Articles

Back to top button