USA News

Tiger Woods turned down $700-800M LIV offer, Greg Norman says

Tiger Woods turned down an offer that Greg Norman says was “somewhere in that neighborhood” of $700 million to $800 million to take part in the Saudi-funded LIV Golf series.

During an appearance on Fox News with Tucker Carlson that aired on Monday night, Norman confirmed what he told the Washington Post in a story two months ago. Norman told the Post in June the offer was “mind-blowingly enormous; we’re talking about high nine digits.”

Woods, 46, has been opposed to LIV Golf since late last year, and he delivered his strongest comments at the British Open when he said players who took the money funded by the Saudi Arabian sovereign wealth fund had “turned their back” on the PGA Tour that made them famous. Woods also said he supported the R&A’s decision not to invite Norman, a two-time winner of the event, to the 150th celebration of the British Open.

“The R&A obviously have their opinions and their rulings and their decision,” Woods said at St. Andrews. “Greg has done some things that I don’t think is in the best interest of our game, and we’re coming back to probably the most historic and traditional place in our sport. I believe it’s the right thing.”

When a LIV series offer was made to Woods was not clear.

“That number was out there before I became CEO. So that number has been out there, yes,” Norman said during the interview with Carlson, which took place Sunday at Trump National in Bedminster, New Jersey, where the third LIV Golf Invitational was held.

“And, look, Tiger is a needle-mover and of course you have to look at the best of the best,” Norman said. “So they had originally approached Tiger before I became CEO. So, yes, that number was somewhere in that neighborhood.”

Various reports out of the United Kingdom have said Phil Mickelson received a $200 million signing bonus, while Dustin Johnson received $150 million. The 48-man fields, which play 54 holes with no cut, offer $25 million in prize money at each event. Last week, LIV Golf announced that it is expanding its series to 14 tournaments in 2023 with $405 million in purses. LIV Golf currently has only one player – Johnson at No. 18 – from the top 20 in the world.

During the Fox News interview, Norman called the PGA Tour a “monopoly” and said it has created obstacles that caused LIV Golf to alter its plans.

“It’s a monopoly,” Norman said. “They just want to shut us down whatever way they can, so they’ll use whatever leverage point they can to shut us down, and they’re not. They’re not going to shut us down because the product speaks for itself.”

File source

Tags
Show More

Related Articles

Back to top button
Close