USA News

Trial ordered for man charged in 1969 slaying of San Diego woman

More than 50 years after a San Diego woman’s body was found in her apartment, a judge this week ordered the now 76-year-old man accused of killing her to stand trial on a murder charge.

John Sipos of Pennsylvania was jailed last year on suspicion of murder in the Nov. 20, 1969 slaying of Mary Scott. Authorities said they linked Sipos to the case using DNA evidence and forensic genealogy.

Following a two-day preliminary hearing this week, San Diego Superior Court Judge Jay Bloom found that prosecutors had presented enough evidence for Sipos to face trial.

Scott was 23 and living alone when someone kicked in the door of her City Heights apartment. Authorities say the assailant broke her jaw, raped and killed her.

Two of the San Diego police officers who responded to the slaying scene were among the 12 witnesses at the hearing at the San Diego Central Courthouse, Deputy District Attorney Chris Lindberg said.

One of the original detectives who investigated the case in 1969 testified as well, as did the cab driver who’d driven Scott home from work the day she was killed. The judge also heard from the co-worker who checked up on Scott when she failed to show up for work, and found her nude body in the living room.

Sipos’ attorney, Brooke LaFrance, argued it was “a leap and an assumption” by the prosecution that the DNA left at the scene must have been that of the killer.

If convicted, Sipos faces seven years to life in prison, which is what he would have faced if he’d been charged in 1969.

Prosecutors did not charge Sipos with rape. The statute of limitations governing that charge ran out decades ago.

Sipos has a status hearing in October and his trial is set to start in November. He remains jailed in lieu of $3 million bail.

City News Service contributed to this report.



File source

Tags
Show More

Related Articles

Back to top button
Close